Groups are a selection of FIS users who share the collective responsibility of reviewing and/or approving documents.
- Groups are established at the departmental level, and consist of users that have the authority to approve transactions of the type that the group may receive.
- Any member of a group can review or approve a document, thereby deleting it from the other members' Action Lists. Groups allow organizations to use another level of approval after the fiscal officer routing, without placing the entire burden on one person.
- The Group document is used to create or modify a group, but this does not establish the routing to the group.
- Routing to the group is set up/modified on the Organization Review page. On the Organization Review, the group can be set up to approve, acknowledge, or FYI a document.
- When a document is routed to a group, all users in the group will receive it. The document will appear in their Action List with the name of the particular group to which it was routed. At this point, any member of the group may approve the document. When they do, the document will disappear from the Action Lists of the other group members.* The user ID of the group member approver will appear in the Actions Taken section of the document routing log.
- Note: There is no automatic routing for the Group document (no account manager/fiscal officer routing). You can create an Organization Review document to establish routing for the Group document if you wish.
*An exception to this rule occurs if the Action Policy Code field code is set to ALL on the Organization Review document. In general, we do not recommend this setting, as it will require each person in the group to approve the document.
Editing an Existing Group
- In KFS navigation menu, go to the Jump to field and type Group.
- On the Group Lookup screen, in the Group Name field, enter your group name and search (if you don’t know what it is, see the section below on looking up your group).
- In the search results, click Edit.
- Add and inactivate members as needed. You can enter a date range for giving access. The ending date has to be the day AFTER the last day you want them to have access. See the instructions below for creating a new group if you need detailed information on this process.
- Submit the document.
If you don’t know your group name, you can look it up as follows:
In this example, we show how to look up a group of Deans Office Special Approvers so you can add people to handle fiscal close duties.
- In KFS navigation menu, go to the Jump to field and type Role.
- In the Role Name field, type Deans* and then click search.
- In the search results, click Deans Office Special Approvers.
- Find your group in the Members section.
- Look at the group members by clicking on the group name. If they are current, no further action is needed. If changes are needed, follow the steps in the section above for updating your group.
For more about the Dean's Office special role, see the fiscal close Year-End Document information.
If you have any questions, please contact the FIS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creating a New Group
- In KFS navigation menu click on System > Group link under the Reference section to the right.
- You will now be on the Group Lookup screen. Click on the "Create New" button in the upper right corner.
- You will now be on the Group document. Complete all required fields (identified with an asterisk).
- Type Name field: click on the lookup icon next to the word Default. This will take you to the KIM Type Lookup screen. On this lookup screen, enter KFS68 in the Type Identifier field. On your results, click on the "Return Value" link. If you leave the Type Name of Default, your Group will not work properly in KFS.
- Group Namespace: should be KFS-SYS - Financial System.
Attributes Section: enter your Chart and Organization Code using the lookup icon.
Assignees Section: Here you can add a new member; we recommend using the lookup icon to do a search. Click the Add button at the end of each line.
4. Click Submit on the document.