Undergraduate Tuition

Resources on the Incentive-Based Budget Model for Undergraduate Tuition

The Undergraduate Tuition Revenue (UGTR) budget model allocates a pool of tuition revenue composed of:

  • The net tuition paid by undergraduates (excludes approx. 30% used for financial aid) and
  • About 20% of the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition (NRST) paid by undergraduates.

Since 2012-13, the UGTR model has allocated 30% of new revenue net of aid to the central campus to fund administrative units, provide supplemental funding to all units, and support central initiatives.  The other 70% has been allocated to academic units based on a workload metric made up 60% of student credit hours (the higher of pay or course basis for each unit), 30% majors, and 10% degrees awarded.   Academic units use these funds for a variety of things, including faculty and TA salaries, instruction, advising, and student academic support.

Starting with allocations made in 2020-21, the UGTR budget model allocates UGTR funding to the academic units at the amount allocated through 2019-20, about $180 million, on the same basis of these three metrics:  the existing pool is held flat but redistributed among the colleges and schools based on their workload metrics. Increased revenue above 2019-20 funding, however, is split 30%/70%.  The 30% is held centrally for the same uses described above.  The remaining 70% is dedicated to a pool to fund student success initiatives, which could include increased tutoring, writing support, technology to support better planning and advising, and investments in college-specific needs. 


Undergraduate Budget Model


Allocations are made as permanent base budget increments to bring units to their current year metric share. For 2023-24, this pool was allocated as shown in Table 1 below:

Table 1.  2022-23 UGTR Allocations 


2022-23 base budget

2023-24 Increment

2023-24 base budget

Academic Units




College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences




College of Biological Sciences




College of Engineering




College of Letters and Science




Professional Schools and Special Programs




Central Campus




Student Success Pool








Note: totals may not tie due to rounding

For more information, contact the Budget Office.

Resources (PDFs):